Sunday 12 February 2012

Winter Barbel on The Dane

Having had a brief and unsuccessful trip to the Dane last week, We were back hoping to bag a winter Barbel, much more prepared for a river fishing session this time out, we had even brought re-enforcements. Our friend Liam was to be our guide, as he has fished the Dane for years.  
We set off along the Bay malton Manor farm stretch travelling light, settling into a suitable looking peg on a nice bend, I tried ledgering a couple of pellets to the far bank, Toby and Liam using similar tactics with variations on bait. We sat on what was a quite chilly morning bite-less for about an hour before moving on, yet again I was experiencing problems with the eyes on my rod freezing.


Finding another nice looking set of pegs down stream, that the three of us could all get on, we tried again, this time I opted to try a couple of maggots and a small maggot feeder. Liam sticking with meat, while Toby was trotting a couple of maggots down stream. Starting to get a little frustrated by the lack of fish, some light hearted ribbing of Liam ensued, claiming the pictures I have seen of him with some lovely look river Barbel, were obliviously the work of Photoshop!
We carried on down stream trying various pegs and slightly different methods and baits with very little success.
Fishing the Dane is a very different beast than my local River the Weaver, where the weaver is deep and plodding, the much shallower Dane pushes through a fair rate, I was finding it difficult to hold bottom with a 14g flat ledger, the biggest I had in my box.

Finishing the day off on a sandy bend which the fallen tree above dominated, I tried ledgered meat again and still couldn't buy a take. My first river Barbel will have to wait until the summer now, when I hope the Mink we saw dashing up the fallen tree, has saved some fish for us!

For more information on rigs, set ups, bait and tackle please have a look at our brother blog


No comments:

Post a Comment