Monday 5 March 2012

Swamp things 2

We went back to Longbarn in Warrington this weekend, for a final Piking session of the season, and to try and break Toby's duck with Longbarn Pike, having lost a couple and missed as many last week.
The weather forecast was pretty good and it was a nice bright morning, a pleasure to be on the bank.
Toby only had to wait about ten minuets after his first cast, for his pencil float to stand to attention and start of on a wander, after a very short battle Toby had his fish. A nicely marked 2.5lb Longbarn Jack Pike.

I had my first pike not long after, using what seems a favourite of the hungry Longbarn Jack, Smelt float fished hard on the bottom. Giving a good fight, I wondered if this was one of the big old girls that must live there, but it was just a tough Jack of nearly 5lb, that gave me the run around.
 
As I said it was a lovely morning, and there was a few dog walkers doing the morning rounds, some of which would stop and chat to us, as they walked past. A familiar face had stopped, and Toby was telling the chap about the fish in the pool, and as if on cue, my float righted itself and started to wobble around. As I played the fish I was trying to put a name to face I was sure I recognised, Toby chinned  my pike which we guessed was around the 4lb mark. Our onlooker admired the fish and then they both went on their way (although in different directions). We took a quick picture of the Pike, we didn't however get a picture with, who we eventually recalled was the character Ashley Peacock from Coronation St


After that bit of excitement, it was lunch time. And in typical fashion Toby had just poured himself a cup of soup, when his float cocked itself and tanked off towards an island in the middle. Toby soon landed his second fish of the day a Jack of around 3lb. The good weather didn't last too long, the heavens opened and we had to quickly grab our umbrellas, to avoid getting drenched, with the rain came a bit of a thunder storm, and I was glad to be in my insulating wellies.
The passing storm, however brief seamed to have a massively detrimental effect on our afternoons fishing. Despite moving round and changing baits, we just couldn't pick up another bite, on what is a fantastically productive venue for Jack Pike.

For more information on rigs, set ups, bait and tackle please have a look at our brother blog


No comments:

Post a Comment